According to the FBI website, there were over 160 active shooter incidents between the years 2000 and 2013, underscoring the need for every business to have a plan to prevent an manage an active shooter incident.
Sadly, active shooter incidents have occurred in all types of venues, and the trend does not seem to be slowing. Any business can be vulnerable to such a situation, so every business should consider having a plan in place to prevent and manage such an event.
What is an Active Shooter Incident?
You have had the opportunity to hear the phrase several times since the Columbine tragedy but may wonder what the term “Active shooter incident” means precisely.
The FBI defines an active shooter as “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area.”
In most cases, the shooter expects to die in the event, which makes preventive measures the most critical line of defense.
Prevention; Your First Choice
Once an active shooting incident starts, it is difficult to stop before there are injuries or deaths because they happen quickly and unexpectedly. This makes layers of deterrents your most valuable option in preventing a potential active shooter.
These deterrents should include:
- Uniformed and visible security guards
- Monitored security system that includes a panic button
- Video surveillance system
- Employees trained to spot potential threats
Responding to an Active Shooter Incident
- Getting out is the first objective. Have an escape plan and train employees in evacuation
- Alert authorities as soon as possible. Call 911 and leave the line open, and hit the panic button on your alarm system.
- If you can’t get out, hide out. Take cover quickly as possible.
- As a last resort, take action. Getting physical with a shooter is never a safe option and should only be considered if your life is in eminent danger. This can be done by attempting to disrupt or incapacitate the shooter by throwing items and improvising weapons, and banding together to attack the shooter.
Today, every business should consider the possibility of an active shooter incident, and be ready with a plan. If you would like more information on how you can deter crime, please call us today at (800)862-4880.
About First Response Inc.
Headquartered in Beaverton, First Response Inc. is the largest privately owned security company in Oregon. Our commitment to “A Higher Standard” enables us to deliver the client service we believe you deserve.